Friday, January 6, 2012

Wintry Morn


Hola, bloggies!  Woke up this morning to big, fat snowflakes.  As much as I don’t love winter, there is something slightly romantic about sipping your morning coffee while the ground gets painted white.  Too bad I have errands to run and a weekend getaway to attend to…

For Christmas, I gave my boyfriend a two-night stay to a bed & breakfast about two hours away at the base of a mountain, complete with complimentary champagne and homemade truffles.  (The benefit only being for him of course… ;)).  The b&b is located in a notoriously hippy area, so there’s tons of local, green, organic restaurants in the area that I’m dying to try.  I’ll keep you all updated on the food after I return!  The b&b itself has a daily full country breakfast, offering things like “”.  Yum!

So, this morning before our departure, I am going to make a run to Trader Joes to pick up some snacks and things – I always find it best to bring my own snacks on a trip so I don’t get hungry and munch on things of gas-station-quality or else spend absurd amounts of money for a bruised banana.  I’m thinking lots of travel-able produce (baby carrots, apple, oranges), some healthy granola bars (I like Kashi TLC bars – only 5 grams of sugar and 7 grams of protein per 140 cals and all natural ingredients), some hummus & mini pitas for a snack/lunch, and TJ’s white cheddar popcorn for the bf who is semi-obsessed with all things of the popcorn-variety. 

I’ll also bake some banana bread and blueberry bran muffins to stash along on the trip.  I use my mom’s b-bread recipe, which is not the lightest naner bread recipe out there, but is the one I grew up on and is delightfully delicious.  (Substitute some of the butter for applesauce and omit choc. chips if you are looking to lighten it up).

Mama’s Naner Bread
  1. Unsalted butter
  2. 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  3. 1 teaspoon baking soda
  4. Pinch of salt
  5. 2 large eggs, beaten
  6. 1/2 cup canola oil
  7. 1 cup sugar
  8. 2 large, very ripe bananas, mashed
  9. Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  10. 3/4 c Semi-sweet chocoloate chips
Steps:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch metal loaf pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/4 cups of flour with the baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the oil, sugar and mashed bananas. Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for about 50 minutes, until the bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then turn the bread out onto the rack and let cool completely. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar, cut into slices and serve.


Trader Joes is also conveniently located near our mall and I hear through the grapevine that the Victoria’s Secret semi-annual sale is in full force – its totally calling my name, though I don’t need to spend cash right before a trip… (but it would make the trip more exciting…. I mean, come on!)  I’ll also let you know how resisting (or perhaps not resisting) this guilty pleasure goes.

I also need to make a quick run to the bank, gas up the car, pack a bag, and swing by the library.  I have a huge stack of books I just picked up, which will be perfect for a long, lazy weekend.  So exciting!  I think I’ll bring John Grogan’s “The Longest Trip Home”, a memoir which I have been thoroughly enjoying so far. 

Well, its 8 am and I still need to get in a workout before braving this wintery wonderland appearing outside my window, so I’m off!  I’ll update you all when I get back on Sunday (or maybe Monday morning, because after a (large) cup of java is when my blogging flows best…) 

Ta-ta bloggies!  Enjoy the weekend!  By the way, when you go on a one or two night stay, do you pack food/snacks?  If so, what are your staples?  If not, do you just wing it entirely and eat only restaurant-food, or do you shop upon arrival? 





No comments:

Post a Comment