Thursday, January 5, 2012

First Things First

You are unique. Find and fulfill your true calling.

It is better to tread your own path, however humbly,

than that of another, however successfully.”

- The Bhagavad Gita



I received an excellent bit of writing advice once from a quirky, sardonic professor of mine during my undergrad:  Whenever you write always Imagine you’re writing to someone.  Yes, of course this makes sense for a letter, but do it with everything.  Never write with no intended addressee.  So, after hearing this, I sat down to write my research paper for his class and began the paper with ‘Dear Prof. Stormer…’  I erased that little heading after, of course, but it completely effected the tone of my writing, just imagining that I was writing something addressed to him.  When you write a paper to no one, you get muddled up with what you are writing and what style to emulate and what tone is most appropriate.  So, as I begin this blog, I realized that I needed to address it to someone and not write merely to no one.  Who did I want this to be for?  And that’s when it hit me – the most selfish of all answers, really.  I wanted it to be for… me.  Not the way a diary is just for you, but in the sense that I wanted this blog to be my style, to be a project for me, to embody myself.  So, at the end of the day, if I can complete my goal of writing once a day for a month (and thereby hopefully forming a habit where I want to write once a day afterwards) and I can be proud that I did this for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment