always trying to think of something that is quick and easy to grab in the morning for the bf - he never even has the time before work in the morning to toast a bagel or pour a bowl of cereal. I've baked him bars and oatmeal squares and various morning pastries - these are a perfect, healthy pick-me up for breakfast or a mid-morning snack. The oats and whole wheat combined with the banana will help keep you full and the aromatic blend of vanilla and orange zest.... yummm!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk (or use almond milk!)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (or one container if you have the individual packs)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- orange zest from one orange
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, if you like them!
- Streusel Topping:
- 6 tablespoons regular oats
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (if you are vegan and trying to avoid butter completely, use 1 TBS agave or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare the muffins, lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine banana and next 4 ingredients (through zest) in a bowl; stir well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; fold in walnuts if you're using them. Place 12 muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups.
- To prepare streusel, combine oats and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Blend with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle streusel over batter. Bake at 375° for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.